Mechouia's salad : all Northern Africa in your plate!
Here is an ideal salad recipe when it is really hot.
You can conserve it for several days in the fridge and we advise you to serve it chilled rather than cold.
This is a traditional dish from most of North African countries and it is full of typical flavor.
All you have to do is:
- Grilling 4 capsicums, 5 tomatoes, 2 onions, 1 hot pepper if you feel like it and cloves of garlic on a hotplate until the skin gets dark on every side.
- Letting the capsicums get cold in a plastic bag (it will make the next step easier for you).
- Peeling and removing the seeds from the tomatoes, the hot pepper and the capsicums.
- Peeling the onions and the cloves of garlic.
- Mashing all the vegetables, with a mortar if possible or with a mixer (do not mince them too much).
- Seasoning it all with coriander and ground caraway.
- Adding some lemon juice, a spoonful of olive oil and salt if you feel like it.
You may serve your salad with hard-boiled eggs, tuna or hot chili sauce and decorate it with some olives.